Institute History
home about institute staff projects events


Institute History

Statute from 1895

Previous Staff

Photo Archive





In the middle of the second half of the century the Dalmatian agriculture, mainly viticulture, stretches to significant dimensions with an accent on increased exporting . A formed agricultural administration, expert services, beginning of education and a fortified economy create the conditions and make their request that for the Dalmatian region be established a scientific agricultural institution that would be concerned with scientific questions in regards to agricultural development of this region. In agreement to such a valid request, regarding the institution, the Ministry of Agriculture in Vienna with its decree of July 1, 1894 established the C.K. CHEMICAL - ECONOMIC TESTING INSTITUTE IN SPLIT. On July 15th in 1895, the institute received its first Statute.

The Institute was placed in the rooms of a telegraph office in the today Marmontova street. In 1896 the Institute in its possession had a library of 4000 books in the field and was receiving 50 magazines.

On the 8th of October 1905 was established a school in the framework of the Institute which by the Statute of the same year was named C.K. AGRICULTURAL SCHOOL AND TEST CENTER IN SPLIT. To accommodate the needs of the new establishment was erected a large new three story building in 1907 in Split's present day Frankopanska 11 street.

This is how, envisioned and with given conditions at the beginning of the century in Dalmatia, was created a modern complex for scientific research and a learning canter capable of executing significant influence on the development of economy of this region. With analytical work on quality control of food products, (primarily wine and oil) kept were statistics on the components and quality of wine. Experimental work was carried out concerning problems and production needs. This is the period of sudden decline of wine growing due to phylloxera, but also an intense period of renewal of Dalmatian wine growing on American foundations, which is best illustrated by the fact that in the period between 1905 and 1910 was out up 15 000 acres of vineyards.

The period between two world wars was particulary rough for the Institute. Underestimations of the oldest agricultural scientific institute, in Yugoslavia of that time, were not just a reflection of ignorance concerning the specificity of agriculture in the Adriatic region, but a reflection of the political orientation of the central government in Belgrade that systematically neglected the economy in the coastal regions. Despite dificulties, new departments were founded within the Institute: entomological (1925), phytopathological (1929), pedological (1929) and agrobotanical (1930).

After the 2nd world war and after overcoming the first hardships the station started to focus more on its initial tasks, it reinforced itself with expert and scientific staff, regrouped and spread into Kastel Stari with its objects for olive growing and fruit farming, while in Kastel Luksic it went ahead with viticulture and vegetable farming. At this time was accepted that the Adriatic coastal region with its ecological characteristics was significantly different from the remaining parts of the country, and as a result the problems of agricultural production are specific and demand individual research and answers. Besides that, this region with a surface area of 30 000 square kilometres in its entirety lies connected to the Adriatic rocky terrain, which with its phenomenon gives a main description to the agriculture and forestry of this region.

Because of the mentioned reasons or increase in the activity concerning erosion and improvement, the district Assembly in Split brought a decision 03-12367 on 24.8. 1964 concerning the change in the name of the INSTITUTE FOR ADRIATIC CROPS AND KARST RECLAMATION. In 1964 on location in Duilovo-Split a new office building was erected providing an adequate 2500 square meters for laboratory and other types of activity.

The INSTITUTE on its developmental path, in a variety of forms and intensity had nurtured the educational activity. Developing that activity it came to see the necessity of institutionalizing long term collaboration between the institute and the college of agricultural sciences (University in Zagreb), so on 11.11. 1977 a mutual agreement was signed concerning the establishment of CENTER FOR THE MEDITERRANEAN AGRICULTURAL STUDY.

The last decade the Institute had functioned as an independent scientific research facility and member of the university in Split. It still bases its activity on the scientific research in the field of bio-technical sciences. The Institute is well informed on the project and control work from the field of agriculture, nutritional technology, forestry and ecology.

The law on scientific research (25.10. 1993),actually the law on institutions (NN no. 76/93) gave the Republic of Croatia founding rights over the INSTITUTE FOR ADRIATIC CROPS AND KARST RECLAMATION, which continued with work as a public Institute under the ownership of the Republic of Croatia.

 
Copyright ©2004-2014 Institute for Adriatic Crops and Karst Reclamation naslovnica     mail    vrh hrvatska verzija